Friday, June 26, 2009

2008-12-10 - Filter

Filter's Top 10 of 2008, Day 10: Dottie Alexander of Of Montreal
by Staff | 12.10.2008

Dottie Alexander of Of Montreal has taken time from her busy winter tour to share her thoughts on the best five albums of the year. Alexander knows a thing or two about catchy indie rock music, with her band's latest album Skeletal Lamping being featured on a few artists' top ten list. Check out her list to see why her favorites can be summed up in merely five picks and tune into erockster to hear these and other great songs!

Dottie Alexander of Of Montreal:

1. Queens of the Stone Age, Era Vulgaris (Interscope) - I get something new from this record every time I listen to it. It's a sneaky trap that sucks you in with blatant bad-assness, and keeps you surprised with its subtlety.

2. Caribou, Andorra (Merge Records) - What can you say about Dan Snaith? His records almost make me angry with their sheer brilliance. Andora might have technically come out in 2007, but it was my constant companion of 2008, and therefore makes my list.

3. Tilly and the Wall, O (Team Love) - Who's more sincere than my sweet Tillys? These cats and kittens have chops for days and sing beautifully sad, funny, sweet, and above all honest songs that resonate long after the disc stops spinning.

4. Stars, In Our Bedroom After the War (Arts & Crafts) - This gem was on near constant repeat both in my car and in my house. There's something soundtrack-ish about this record that makes me mentally narrate my own life.

5. MGMT, Ocacular Spectacular (Sony) -Yes, they do, in fact, rule. From the kitchen floor covered in butter to the media darlings they've become, this AMAZING record speaks for itself. Well done, lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment